A Fine February

     Whew! February went by as quickly as it came and we got a break for Mardi Gras. I decided to focus on volunteering at mass vaccination sites with NOLA READY. Although I did not participate in the clinical setting I was able to lend a hand at multiple steps when needed as well as educate community members on their COVID 19 dosage. Volunteering at these sites have re ignited my love for engaging with the community and feeling part of a group. The pandemic had started to take its wear on me because of the limited in person interactions, and although I was masked up I was able to hear different stories and connect with members of the New Orleans community in a way where we shared a common goal to provide herd immunity. My role as a pre medical student in tackling this virus although small has enabled me to believe in myself to accomplish the goals I've set for myself. While most pf my community efforts involved getting the vaccines out, I spent some of my time on local community gardens and fridges both educating and providing resources for sustainable feeding practices as well as ending hunger within New Orleans.

      



     This month mainly consisted of our psychiatry module. I was very interested in the pathophysiology of Alzheimers, Dementia, and Bipolar disorder. As someone who was diagnosed with anxiety about two years ago it was intriguing to finally learn about what mechanism were behind human mood disorders as well as medications and therapies that can provide long term benefits with few side effects. The field of Neurology is definitely a gift that keeps giving because the brain is connected to almost all system in the body, it gave me a review of some of the previous core modules. Now that the semester is winding down my focus is drifting to NBME studying and MCAT preparations.

    Although I did not get to experience a proper Mardi Gras this year, I tried to educate myself on the culture in New Orleans and get my self involved in traditions as much as I could. My building held a mask contest and I got to try King cake for the first time. My monthly tradition of trying new restaurants took me to Bear Cat Cafe. It is nice brunch spot with locations in  both uptown and CBD. I got to sit outside and it was not extremely cold considering it is  NOLA in February. Got to got back to studying now!


Comments

Popular Posts